Monday, May 27, 2019

How to Upcycle Bratz Dolls - Step 2. Take off old face

You will need 100% pure acetone. 
Buy it at a beauty supply like Sally's.
Do NOT try to use nail polish remover. It has additives that will make the plastic sticky and ruin it.
Also use 100% pure cotton balls. 

Before you take off their faces, you may want to take photos.

This way, you will have "Before" and "After" photos
if you are selling your dolls.


TAKE CARE NOT TO GET THE ACETONE ON THE DOLL'S BODY.
You might find it helpful to wrap the doll body in a handkerchief or scrap fabric while you clean the face with the acetone.

If you do get acetone on the body of a Bratz doll, it will melt the plastic and will "grab" the cotton, making it almost impossible to get off neatly.

You CAN use the acetone to clean the arms and legs.
But you CANNOT use it to clean the body, which is made from a different plastic.


Sometimes, when you get the paint off,
you find the faces are stained.
The doll below has dark green stains above both eyes.
They're difficult to see in the photo
but are quite dark in person.


I may have to discard this doll,
or use it to do a Calaveras (Dia de los Muertos) doll,
but I'll know after attempting to paint it.
Also, you can see I've tried to preserve the teeth.
If possible, I will often leave the white paint of the teeth,
and try to keep them.

Glitter on the eyes or mouth can be difficult to remove.
You just have to hold the wet acetone cotton on the glitter 
and gently rub.
It will eventually loosen and come clean.

Scratches, if light, can be repaired with a tiny wipe of olive oil.

I love the way the dolls immediately look sweet 
after removing all that heavy gunky makeup!
 


Panties are an extra if you can find dolls with them.
If they are in good condition, 
I keep them and use them on my more modest dolls.
If not, I carefully remove the paint,
keeping in mind the cotton is going to want to stick,
or if I'm feeling industrious, 
I may paint new panties on the doll.



Once the faces are clean, it's time for the bath.
I'll cover that tomorrow.

Until then, I'll let my girls rest.











No comments:

Post a Comment